***********************************************************

***********************************************************
..................................................................................................
"TraVeL ThRouGh ThE LaNd Of “Soft in the Head”
...the home of “Singing and Dancing Mice & Humorous Frogs!”.

Where “Original Designs” of patterns and soft sculpture characters come to life..…

*********************************************************
For Patterns check out the...."Soft in the Head" site
*****************************************************
For Finished Characters: Click Here

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Finding My Comfort Among Pages.....

"Comfort For My Soul"

All of us have our favorite places that we haunt to find comfort or to sit and  just "think".  My place is an old bookstore....the dustier and mustier the better!  Since I was a young kid I loved books and often found myself a quiet place in a remote corner of the barn with one planted up to my nose.As I got older my mom and I found our favorite outings were those that took us to some bookstore hideaway that was often run by an eccentric gentleman and his cat!  Mom would be involved in a heated discussion about current editions while I would be off looking for adventure in the over-crowded and dusty aisles of books...always looking for that special volume that would send me into yet another world of intrigue and derring-do! 

When Dan and I travel we are always on the look out for some random "over-stuffed" relic of a book store, the older the better.  Once I walk through the door I feel as though I have been transported to another place and definitely to another life.  Books are the best friends and "comfort food" for ones adventurous soul!  Dan and I could spend literally hours mulling and wandering through the volumes of places and imagination and often coming out with our arms full of information and new adventures.
 
When I visit my old stomping grounds in Wa. state one of my VERY favorite places to visit is the Duvall Book Store.  I'm always guaranteed to find  something interesting where I can get lost for a few hours to a few days!  Not only that but the whole atmosphere of this bookstore is friendly and magical.....from the giant stuffed bunny that greets you at the door to the bench made out of old discarded books.  Every place you look is full of that kid-like sense of adventure and mystery mixed with a serious dose of dust and cobwebs!  I love it!!!!!
What is even better is that soon this will become my hometown and I will able to visit often.
 
Dan and I are so fortunate that all three of our kids are avid readers and it has carried over to our grandkids.  Books are the doorways to a never ending road of adventure, love, mystery and education....the ultimate gift you can give your mind!  

I have to keep reminding myself of this as we finish packing the the 40th tote of books that we will be taking with us on our new adventure and move to Washington! 

2 comments:

Kays Kids said...

It is the hunt in the book store that is exciting. You never know what gem you will find. I hope you get to visit the store often.
Hugs Kay

suz said...

I'm with you about books. I have tons in the house. My sister once told me I had too many books. I had no idea how to respond. One of my favorite finds was on a cart outside an old bookstore on a side street in Boston. It was Lord Moran's Diaries. Lord Moran was Churchill's doctor during the war. It started my love of anything about Churchill, which then led me to FDR and Eleanor, which led me to Teddy Roosevelt; and the adventure has been ongoing.

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected