***********************************************************

***********************************************************
..................................................................................................
"TraVeL ThRouGh ThE LaNd Of “Soft in the Head”
...the home of “Singing and Dancing Mice & Humorous Frogs!”.

Where “Original Designs” of patterns and soft sculpture characters come to life..…

*********************************************************
For Patterns check out the...."Soft in the Head" site
*****************************************************
For Finished Characters: Click Here

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Different & Spooky.....


I know, I love Halloween and all things Spooky but what I found recently put a whole new spin on "all things spooky".  One of the characters that I make for Ghoultide are my "Jack-O-Lanterns".  These are pumpkin heads mounted on top of antique, rusty and distressed looking Dietz-Lanterns.  Most of the lanterns are from the 1920's-1940's and I search high and low for just the right aging for my prim lanterns. 

As I was cleaning one yesterday I was greeted with the skeleton of a Bat lying in the bottom.  This skeleton is totally intact to the point you can count digits and the vertebrae in its tail....very unsettling at first.  After I set it aside and let the invisible "cooties"  do their thing, I took a closer look and a picture.  This is really amazing!!!!!  First I'm sad that this poor little creature had to suffer this way but the science part of my brain took over and I realized just how incredibly cool this is!  

Now I need to figure out what to do with it.  The skeleton looks far to fragile to move so my only option is to leave it in place in the lantern!  Now these lanterns are not cheap and I do look forward to using them so what should I do?  My daughter feels I should leave it as a tomb for the unfortunate little guy and keep it in a prominent place with my Halloween collectibles....sounds to creepy even for me!   I will set it aside and ponder on it a bit more.  All the creepiness aside it is pretty darn cool!!!!!

2 comments:

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

oh pam, how sweet...poor little flittermouse! (German for Bat) I love my bats that live here on the farm...they keep the flying insects at bay.
I would keep him just as he is, right where he is...you might want to take the blowdryer to 'dust' him a bit outdoors, though ~
I don't find him creepy at all (but then again, I'm weird) I have a mummified frog, a cats' skull and spent butterfly wings in a bug glass jar...remember, the Victorians were obsessed with 'specimens' and yours is truly amazing!
~Blessed be!
Lori

JoeyLea said...

Hmmm, I don't know if you could gently lift him with a piece of paper and a scewer (no pinching that way,) but he would be cool in a little shadow box of his very own. You could then use the lantern as intended and pay homage to the little fella.
Many Smiles,
JoeyLea

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected