***********************************************************

***********************************************************
..................................................................................................
"TraVeL ThRouGh ThE LaNd Of “Soft in the Head”
...the home of “Singing and Dancing Mice & Humorous Frogs!”.

Where “Original Designs” of patterns and soft sculpture characters come to life..…

*********************************************************
For Patterns check out the...."Soft in the Head" site
*****************************************************
For Finished Characters: Click Here

Thursday, December 29, 2011

A New Years Tradition!

"A Good Luck Tradition!"  
 Many places have their traditional faire for the holidays but one that sticks with me is the Southern tradition for good luck, "Blackeyed  Peas" for New Years! Now, I'm not talking about the singing group but the scrumptious dish of legumes that tastes REALLY good with cornbread and turnip greens. Can you tell my family is from the south, lol! My personal favorite way to cook these little bits of culinary delight is by throwing them into my slow cooker and forgetting about them....my favorite way to cook! Here's a great slow cooker recipe that I use but I substitute the ham and bacon with a good turkey sausage! Of course I also attempt to make corn bread but nothing has ever compared to the mouth watering corn bread that comes from my mother's kitchen....her secret is bacon drippings and buttermilk, hmmmmmmmm, I feel my arteries hardening even thinking about it!! 

I wish everyone a prosperous and healthy New Year and one filled with a multitude of possibilities! 

Slow Cooker Blackeyed Peas
 6 cups water 
1 cube chicken bouillon 
1 pound dried black-eyed peas, sorted and rinsed 
1 onion, diced 
2 cloves garlic, diced 
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded
diced 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced 
8 ounces diced ham 4 slices bacon, chopped 
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin salt, to taste
1 teaspoon ground black pepper 

Directions Pour the water into a slow cooker, add the bouillon cube, and stir to dissolve. Combine the black-eyed peas, onion, garlic, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, ham, bacon, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper; stir to blend. Cover the slow cooker and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours until the beans are tender.

6 comments:

Kays Kids said...

I love hearing about other country's traditions. I have never cooked Black eye peas. I think that is a recipe that I need to try. Happy New Year to you and all those you love. Plus Good health.
Hugs
Kay

softinthehead said...

Thanks so much Kay....I always like listening to my son tell me about all the Aussie traditions and especially the food! Boxing Day was interesting, :)

Anonymous said...

This recipe looks great. I agree.... I only use turkey bacon & turkey sausage. I love black eyed peas too!
Thanks,
Patti

Anonymous said...

This recipe looks great. I agree.... I only use turkey bacon & turkey sausage. I love black eyed peas too!
Thanks,
Patti

Unknown said...

My family is from Tennessee so we're all very familiar with the Black Eyed Peas New Years tradition. Yummy! :-)
Wishing you continued improvement with your health and and a wonderful New Year! :-)
~ Deb

TheCrankyCrow said...

I've heard of this tradition, but can truthfully say, despite my world travels, I've never eaten a black-eyed pea to my knowledge... ;O!
Wishing you a wonderful new year filled with hope and joy....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected